Tuesday, October 6, 2009

One-on-One with Colbert

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6TH, 2009 AT 3:22 PM
One-on-One with Colbert
Posted by Secretary Arne Duncan
Yesterday, I went on the Colbert Report to discuss my goals for education in this country. We talked about the importance of increasing our expectations for every child. As I meet with teachers, students, parents and administrators across the country on my Listening and Learning Tour, we all agree that everyone has to take responsibility for our children. After all, we all have a stake in their education, because they are our future. While No Child Left Behind did a good job of articulating the problems in education, we have to start focusing on solutions. We have to recruit the absolutely best teachers, inspire every high school student to graduate, and turn around our low-performing schools.
Before the interview, Stephen and I went one-on-one on the basketball court. He made several impressive shots, including one off the wall and an unbelievably long three-pointer. He’s got some game. Next time Stephen is in DC, I challenge him to another game.

No comments:

Post a Comment