Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Invite from Dr. Biden

Greenhouse Neutral Foundation Comment: - If you do not wish to exercise your right to post a comment on a listing by the White House, click the SHARE THIS and post it to your Twitter / FaceBook / MySpace or other media sites – you never know someone in your sphere of influence may just NEED to know about this featured release – Click the SHARE THIS – it’s easy, try it!

The Invite from Dr. Biden
Posted by Julia Frost on January 27, 2010 at 04:53 PM EST
Ed. Note: We asked Julia Frost, a guest of Dr. Biden's for the State of the Union tonight, to talk about her experience leading up to the event - many thanks to her for obliging.

I was shocked last fall when Dr. Jill Biden, the Vice President's wife visited my campus in North Carolina. I was very surprised and excited to have a representative like Dr. Biden for community colleges as an instructor herself, and wondered why I didn't know that already. It was great to get to talk to her last year to tell her about my background - being a former active duty Marine, wife of a current active duty marine, while taking courses at the community college with my GI Bill benefits and enrolled in the Elementary Education program to become a teacher.

Imagine my shock last week when I learned I was going to be invited to attend the State of the Union! I am very much looking forward to actually being in the presence of the First Lady and the Vice President with Dr. Biden, and maybe even the President! I am happy to get to be a representative of the Marine Corps and of military spouses working for their educational opportunities.

Today I have been inundated with calls from the White House along with the Secretary of Education, and the Chief of Education from the Marine Corps. As just another community college student working hard with aspirations of becoming a teacher (of all unappreciated careers), who would have thought I'd be a super star? I am absolutely with out a doubt, thrilled and 110% honored, and truthfully I am also very nervous about it all as well. After relaying the news to my grandmother, she passed down some revered advice as one experienced elder to a young child unknowing of what the world might bring them: "there ain't no higher presence than these people so you best get it right the first time." I cannot wait to see what this experience brings me and how I will come out of all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment